Wednesday, February 12, 2014

DIY: Fixing a Bad Connection in Your Lighting

Tools needed: screwdriver, soldering iron, solder.
  1. Identify the problem area.  In my case, this 48" TrueLumen Pro had no support in the middle and over time the solder between two chip boards bent enough to disallow full current to the remaining boards; and since I had 2 fixtures running on one transformer, the second strip was dimmer, too.
    I suspect it is the top connection that is the issue since it's thinner than the bottom.
    Both fixtures hooked up to power supply - clearly this joint is the issue.
  2. I'd thought there was a removable cover on the LEDs, but they were sealed with silicone.  I used a flathead screwdriver and scalpel to peel away the silicone surrounding the joint to obtain access.
  3. Remove the old solder using a soldering iron and a solder wick.  I forgot to get a solder wick so I had to use an old copper wire as a makeshift wick.  It would've worked better coated in solder flux.
  4. Clean the circuit connections with a wire brush to take away any debris and allow the new solder to attach.
  5. Heat the circuit attachments and press the solder against them, dragging it together to make the connection.  Make sure not to use extra solder or the risk or a short circuit increases.  Absolutely make sure there's no connection between the circuit board and the frame.
  6. Plug in your fixture to test the connection.

  7. Since I couldn't just replace the cover, I resealed the silicone with waterproof aquarium silicone.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment