Sunday, June 6, 2010

90 gallon tank - morph from discus to Rainbowfish

I've had bad luck with my tank since the first discus I put in it, but things were going well for a time after we moved.  Last August I lost my longest resident discus, Clementine, so I sent her out to WSU for necropsy and histopath.  Conclusion: my tank has microbacterium marinum, or fish TB.  No practical treatment known, unless I want to inject every fish with antibiotics daily or kill them off and bleach the tank.  So, after losing most of my cichlid-species fish to the disease, I've decided to make a switch to a less susceptible fish that I've never kept: Rainbowfish.

It started when I worked for a fish store in Eugene and saw adult Rainbows for the first time.  While working at Petsmart I'd seen juvie Australian Rainbows, but Rainbows do not obtain true coloration until adulthood.  This means the small ones you normally see look like any other silver fish, pretty drab, and uninteresting.  However, adult Rainbows in full breeding colors are spectacular, especially in schools.  Easy to keep with few demands, and having a long tank to allow them to swim in schools, I bought three near-adult Boesemani Rainbows and three juvie Australian Rainbows from Tropical Fish World here in Sumner two weeks ago.  They did quite well, and this Thursday I had the chance to stop in at A Place for Pets in Burien to pick up some more.  They had all the species I wanted, which is pretty impressive.
Here's a listing of what I've got now (ringed photos courtesy Peteducation.com):
  • 3 Boesemani Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia boesemanii)






  • 3 Australian Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia australis)







  • 3 Three-lined Rainbowfish 'Goyder River' (Melanotaenia trifasciata)
      Photo from Rainbowfishes.eu





  • 3 Turquoise Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia lacustris)








  •  3 Emerald Rainbowfish (Glossolepis wanamensis)
      Photo from Rainbowfishes.eu






  •  3 Millenium Rainbowfish (Glossolepis pseudoincisus)
      Photo from Rainbowfish.info





Plans for additional species:
  • 3 Praecox/Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia praecox)






  • 3 Parkinson's Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia parkinsoni)
     Photo from garfishindo.com




Most of my fish are juveniles and show little coloration at this point, but they are still fun to watch.  The trifasciata are the most colorful and they are constantly displaying for each other.  Here are some preliminary photos from the tank:

No comments:

Post a Comment